tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Filip Hanik - Dev" <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: valve versus filter
Date Wed, 17 Nov 2004 17:51:52 GMT
filter = portable standard
valve = tomcat specific
----- Original Message -----
From: "David Boyer" <David@bvu.edu>
To: <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 11:48 AM
Subject: Q: valve versus filter

We're using IIS 6 with the JK2 ISAPI filter (Tomcat 5.0.28).

I have several filters that I'm using on almost every context in
production: an authentication filter, an access-control filter, and a
compression filter. I'd be interested in implementing these things at a
more global level rather than on a per-context level.

Would valves be the way to do this? I recognize that valves come into
the picture at an earlier point in the chain. I'd be interested in
hearing how other people might approach filters that are being applied
on all contexts.

Thanks!