tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Amit Gupta" <amit.gu...@computerware.co.in>
Subject Re: Tomcat/5.5.3 with jdk1.5.0 DONOT run on port 5555.
Date Sat, 06 Nov 2004 10:40:48 GMT
Hi Shinobu,

I installed it binary downloaded from ftp.ntua.gr. Copied files to /usr/local/tomcat/ . I
am running tomcat with /usr/local/tomcat/bin/startup.sh. I have exported JAVA_HOME variable.
Its /usr/java/jdk1.5.0/

Here is my server.xml
<!-- Example Server Configuration File -->

<!-- Note that component elements are nested corresponding to their

parent-child relationships with each other -->

<!-- A "Server" is a singleton element that represents the entire JVM,

which may contain one or more "Service" instances. The Server

listens for a shutdown command on the indicated port.

Note: A "Server" is not itself a "Container", so you may not

define subcomponents such as "Valves" or "Loggers" at this level.

-->

<!-- Comment these entries out to disable JMX MBeans support -->

<!-- You may also configure custom components (e.g. Valves/Realms) by

including your own mbean-descriptor file(s), and setting the

"descriptors" attribute to point to a ';' seperated list of paths

(in the ClassLoader sense) of files to add to the default list.

e.g. descriptors="/com/myfirm/mypackage/mbean-descriptor.xml"

-->

<Listener className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.ServerLifecycleListener"

debug="0"/>

<Listener className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener"

debug="0"/>

<!-- Global JNDI resources -->

<GlobalNamingResources>

<!-- Test entry for demonstration purposes -->

<Environment name="simpleValue" type="java.lang.Integer" value="30"/>

<!-- Editable user database that can also be used by

UserDatabaseRealm to authenticate users -->

type="org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase"

pathname="conf/tomcat-users.xml" />

</GlobalNamingResources>

<!-- A "Service" is a collection of one or more "Connectors" that share

a single "Container" (and therefore the web applications visible

within that Container). Normally, that Container is an "Engine",

but this is not required.

Note: A "Service" is not itself a "Container", so you may not

define subcomponents such as "Valves" or "Loggers" at this level.

-->

<!-- Define the Tomcat Stand-Alone Service -->

<Service name="Catalina">

<!-- A "Connector" represents an endpoint by which requests are received

and responses are returned. Each Connector passes requests on to the

associated "Container" (normally an Engine) for processing.

By default, a non-SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector is established on port 8080.

You can also enable an SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8443 by

following the instructions below and uncommenting the second Connector

entry. SSL support requires the following steps (see the SSL Config

HOWTO in the Tomcat 5 documentation bundle for more detailed

instructions):

* If your JDK version 1.3 or prior, download and install JSSE 1.0.2 or

later, and put the JAR files into "$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext".

* Execute:

%JAVA_HOME%\bin\keytool -genkey -alias tomcat -keyalg RSA (Windows)

$JAVA_HOME/bin/keytool -genkey -alias tomcat -keyalg RSA (Unix)

with a password value of "changeit" for both the certificate and

the keystore itself.

By default, DNS lookups are enabled when a web application calls

request.getRemoteHost(). This can have an adverse impact on

performance, so you can disable it by setting the

"enableLookups" attribute to "false". When DNS lookups are disabled,

request.getRemoteHost() will return the String version of the

IP address of the remote client.

-->

<!-- Define a non-SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8080 -->

<Connector port="5555"

debug="0" connectionTimeout="20000"

disableUploadTimeout="true" />

<!-- Note : To disable connection timeouts, set connectionTimeout value

to 0 -->

<!-- Note : To use gzip compression you could set the following properties :

compression="on"

compressionMinSize="2048"

noCompressionUserAgents="gozilla, traviata"

compressableMimeType="text/html,text/xml"

-->

<!-- Define a SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8443 -->

<!--

<Connector port="8443"

acceptCount="100" debug="0" scheme="https" secure="true"

clientAuth="false" sslProtocol="TLS" />

-->

<Connector port="8009"

enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443" debug="0"

protocol="AJP/1.3" />

<!-- Define a Proxied HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8082 -->

<!-- See proxy documentation for more information about using this. -->

<!--

<Connector port="8082"

enableLookups="false"

proxyPort="80" disableUploadTimeout="true" />

-->

<!-- An Engine represents the entry point (within Catalina) that processes

every request. The Engine implementation for Tomcat stand alone

analyzes the HTTP headers included with the request, and passes them

on to the appropriate Host (virtual host). -->

<!-- You should set jvmRoute to support load-balancing via AJP ie :

<Engine name="Standalone" defaultHost="localhost" debug="0" jvmRoute="jvm1">

-->

<!-- Define the top level container in our container hierarchy -->

<Engine name="Catalina" defaultHost="localhost" debug="0">

<!-- The request dumper valve dumps useful debugging information about

the request headers and cookies that were received, and the response

headers and cookies that were sent, for all requests received by

this instance of Tomcat. If you care only about requests to a

particular virtual host, or a particular application, nest this

element inside the corresponding <Host> or <Context> entry instead.

For a similar mechanism that is portable to all Servlet 2.4

containers, check out the "RequestDumperFilter" Filter in the

example application (the source for this filter may be found in

"$CATALINA_HOME/webapps/examples/WEB-INF/classes/filters").

Request dumping is disabled by default. Uncomment the following

element to enable it. -->

<!--

<Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.RequestDumperValve"/>

-->

<!-- Because this Realm is here, an instance will be shared globally -->

<!-- This Realm uses the UserDatabase configured in the global JNDI

resources under the key "UserDatabase". Any edits

that are performed against this UserDatabase are immediately

available for use by the Realm. -->

debug="0" resourceName="UserDatabase"/>

<!-- Comment out the old realm but leave here for now in case we

need to go back quickly -->

<!--

-->

<!-- Replace the above Realm with one of the following to get a Realm

stored in a database and accessed via JDBC -->

<!--

<Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm" debug="99"

driverName="org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver"

connectionURL="jdbc:mysql://localhost/authority"

connectionName="test" connectionPassword="test"

userTable="users" userNameCol="user_name" userCredCol="user_pass"

userRoleTable="user_roles" roleNameCol="role_name" />

-->

<!--

<Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm" debug="99"

driverName="oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver"

connectionURL="jdbc:oracle:thin:@ntserver:1521:ORCL"

connectionName="scott" connectionPassword="tiger"

userTable="users" userNameCol="user_name" userCredCol="user_pass"

userRoleTable="user_roles" roleNameCol="role_name" />

-->

<!--

<Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm" debug="99"

driverName="sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"

connectionURL="jdbc:odbc:CATALINA"

userTable="users" userNameCol="user_name" userCredCol="user_pass"

userRoleTable="user_roles" roleNameCol="role_name" />

-->

<!-- Define the default virtual host

Note: XML Schema validation will not work with Xerces 2.2.

-->

<Host name="localhost" debug="0" appBase="webapps"

unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"

<!-- Defines a cluster for this node,

By defining this element, means that every manager will be changed.

So when running a cluster, only make sure that you have webapps in there

that need to be clustered and remove the other ones.

A cluster has the following parameters:

className = the fully qualified name of the cluster class

name = a descriptive name for your cluster, can be anything

debug = the debug level, higher means more output

mcastAddr = the multicast address, has to be the same for all the nodes

mcastPort = the multicast port, has to be the same for all the nodes

mcastBindAddr = bind the multicast socket to a specific address

mcastTTL = the multicast TTL if you want to limit your broadcast

mcastSoTimeout = the multicast readtimeout

mcastFrequency = the number of milliseconds in between sending a "I'm alive" heartbeat

mcastDropTime = the number a milliseconds before a node is considered "dead" if no heartbeat
is received

tcpThreadCount = the number of threads to handle incoming replication requests, optimal would
be the same amount of threads as nodes

tcpListenAddress = the listen address (bind address) for TCP cluster request on this host,

in case of multiple ethernet cards.

auto means that address becomes

InetAddress.getLocalHost().getHostAddress()

tcpListenPort = the tcp listen port

tcpSelectorTimeout = the timeout (ms) for the Selector.select() method in case the OS

has a wakup bug in java.nio. Set to 0 for no timeout

printToScreen = true means that managers will also print to std.out

expireSessionsOnShutdown = true means that

useDirtyFlag = true means that we only replicate a session after setAttribute,removeAttribute
has been called.

false means to replicate the session after each request.

false means that replication would work for the following piece of code:

<%

HashMap map = (HashMap)session.getAttribute("map");

map.put("key","value");

%>

replicationMode = can be either 'pooled', 'synchronous' or 'asynchronous'.

* Pooled means that the replication happens using several sockets in a synchronous way. Ie,
the data gets replicated, then the request return. This is the same as the 'synchronous' setting
except it uses a pool of sockets, hence it is multithreaded. This is the fastest and safest
configuration. To use this, also increase the nr of tcp threads that you have dealing with
replication.

* Synchronous means that the thread that executes the request, is also the

thread the replicates the data to the other nodes, and will not return until all

nodes have received the information.

* Asynchronous means that there is a specific 'sender' thread for each cluster node,

so the request thread will queue the replication request into a "smart" queue,

and then return to the client.

The "smart" queue is a queue where when a session is added to the queue, and the same session

already exists in the queue from a previous request, that session will be replaced

in the queue instead of replicating two requests. This almost never happens, unless there
is a

large network delay.

-->

<!--

When configuring for clustering, you also add in a valve to catch all the requests

coming in, at the end of the request, the session may or may not be replicated.

A session is replicated if and only if all the conditions are met:

1. useDirtyFlag is true or setAttribute or removeAttribute has been called AND

2. a session exists (has been created)

3. the request is not trapped by the "filter" attribute

The filter attribute is to filter out requests that could not modify the session,

hence we don't replicate the session after the end of this request.

The filter is negative, ie, anything you put in the filter, you mean to filter out,

ie, no replication will be done on requests that match one of the filters.

The filter attribute is delimited by ;, so you can't escape out ; even if you wanted to.

filter=".*\.gif;.*\.js;" means that we will not replicate the session after requests with
the URI

ending with .gif and .js are intercepted.

The deployer element can be used to deploy apps cluster wide.

Currently the deployment only deploys/undeploys to working members in the cluster

so no WARs are copied upons startup of a broken node.

The deployer watches a directory (watchDir) for WAR files when watchEnabled="true"

When a new war file is added the war gets deployed to the local instance,

and then deployed to the other instances in the cluster.

When a war file is deleted from the watchDir the war is undeployed locally

and cluster wide

-->

<!--

<Cluster className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.SimpleTcpCluster"

managerClassName="org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.DeltaManager"

expireSessionsOnShutdown="false"

useDirtyFlag="true"

notifyListenersOnReplication="true">

<Membership

className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.mcast.McastService"

mcastAddr="228.0.0.4"

mcastPort="45564"

mcastFrequency="500"

mcastDropTime="3000"/>

<Receiver

className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationListener"

tcpListenAddress="auto"

tcpListenPort="4001"

tcpSelectorTimeout="100"

tcpThreadCount="6"/>

<Sender

className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationTransmitter"

replicationMode="pooled"

ackTimeout="15000"/>

<Valve className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationValve"

filter=".*\.gif;.*\.js;.*\.jpg;.*\.htm;.*\.html;.*\.txt;"/>

<Deployer className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.deploy.FarmWarDeployer"

tempDir="/tmp/war-temp/"

deployDir="/tmp/war-deploy/"

watchDir="/tmp/war-listen/"

watchEnabled="false"/>

</Cluster>

-->

<!-- Normally, users must authenticate themselves to each web app

individually. Uncomment the following entry if you would like

a user to be authenticated the first time they encounter a

resource protected by a security constraint, and then have that

user identity maintained across *all* web applications contained

in this virtual host. -->

<!--

<Valve className="org.apache.catalina.authenticator.SingleSignOn"

debug="0"/>

-->

<!-- Access log processes all requests for this virtual host. By

default, log files are created in the "logs" directory relative to

$CATALINA_HOME. If you wish, you can specify a different

directory with the "directory" attribute. Specify either a relative

(to $CATALINA_HOME) or absolute path to the desired directory.

-->

<!--

directory="logs" prefix="localhost_access_log." suffix=".txt"

pattern="common" resolveHosts="false"/>

-->

</Host>

</Engine>

</Service>

</Server>

Amit Gupta
Email: amitguptainn@yahoo.co.in
http://amit-gupta.prudence-india.com

A request - given the barrage of spam these days, there is a non-zero probability that I
accidentally delete important emails. If a response is necessary to your email, rest assured
that I will respond in time. If however, you have not received a response in a reasonable
period, please don't hesitate to resend.