tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Filip Hanik - Dev" <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: Rotating catalina.out with Webmin
Date Mon, 15 Nov 2004 20:19:19 GMT
if you dont get webmin fixed, I recommend cronolog instead.
You cant just rotate it, cause then tomcat loses the file handle, and you will lose all further
output.

with cronolog you simply pipe it through cronolog like this

<your java start command> | /usr/local/sbin/cronolog "$CATALINA_BASE$"/logs/%Y-%m-%d.catalina.out
>> /dev/null 2>&1

this will rotate the logs daily

Filip

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carlos" <Carlos@pbsinet.com>
To: <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, November 15, 2004 2:05 PM
Subject: Rotating catalina.out with Webmin

Hi Forum,

Could someone recommend settings for using the log rotation of Webmin in
order to rotate catalina.out (any cautionary measures)?  I just created an
entry in Webmin to rotate the catalina.out file weekly with all the default
settings (keeping the last four copies).  Are there any scripts I should run
before or after the rotation is carried out?