tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Dave Kennedy" <>
Subject RE: Tomcat server.xml configuration
Date Mon, 08 Nov 2004 18:24:59 GMT
Hi Yoav,
I need to use the Engine element to host multiple separate domains.
I have read the documentation, but my configuration doesn't work
Can you share a production Tomcat 4 server.xml file so that I can learn
from it?

-----Original Message-----
From: Shapira, Yoav []
Sent: Monday, November 08, 2004 5:25 AM
To: Tomcat Users List;
Subject: RE: Tomcat server.xml configuration

>How is server.xml configured on a virtual private server (VPS) web
>Where should appBase point for the virtual hosts?

That depends on what exactly you mean.  There are a couple of ways to go
about this.  One is what you posted: an Engine element in server.xml
with numerous Hosts.  For this case each appBase should be the directory
where the user for the host is putting their webapps.

Another way is to use the user webapp feature, which lets you do things
like and served out of user1
and user2's public_html directories respectively.  There are other
configuration options as well: see the Host config reference section
titled User Web Applications at  For
this case, the appBase doesn't matter much: leave it as Tomcat's default
most likely.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

To unsubscribe, e-mail: