tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Steve Kirk" <>
Subject RE: Index.jsp
Date Mon, 08 Nov 2004 23:11:37 GMT

OK no-one's answered so here's an idea.  Not sure if this is right but maybe
if I get it wrong someone will correct me ;)

I think it's that, despite appearances, you are in fact running a
precompiled servlet class, which is installed by default, rather than a JSP
page via org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet, because of the default
mappings in web.xml. Check webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/web.xml:

What I think the above adds up to is that when you access "/index.jsp", you
run "index_jsp.class" directly, which is already installed under the
webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/classes/org/apache/jsp directory (as well as under
webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/lib/catalina-root.jar), and the fact that the extension
is "jsp" is in fact not relevant.  I think the mapping above also overrides
the general mapping in conf/web.xml for JSP mapping/compilation, so that
this jsp won't compile even if you change the page, because TC does not see
it as a JSP.  What I'm not sure about is why the JSP page is included at
all.  Maybe this proves that I've got it completely wrong.... ;)