tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mufaddal Khumri <mufad...@wmotion.com>
Subject Log4j with Tomcat webapp
Date Fri, 29 Oct 2004 23:39:10 GMT
Hi,

I am trying to use this under Tomcat 5.0.27.

I have the following log4j.properties file under WEB-INF/conf/
# initialise root logger with level DEBUG and call it A1
log4j.rootLogger=DEBUG, A1
# set the appender to be FileAppender
log4j.appender.A1=org.apache.log4j.FileAppender
log4j.appender.A1.file=cw.log
# set set that layout to be SimpleLayout
log4j.appender.A1.layout=org.apache.log4j.SimpleLayout

I have the following in my web.xml
     <servlet>
		<servlet-name>Log4jInitServlet</servlet-name>
		<servlet-class>com.somepackage.Log4jInitServlet</servlet-class>
		<load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
		<init-param>
	        <param-name>log4j-configuration</param-name>
	    		<param-value>conf/log4j.properties</param-value>
	    </init-param>
	    <init-param>
	         <param-name>log4j-log-path</param-name>
	         <param-value>WEB-INF/log</param-value>
		</init-param>
	</servlet>

I do the following in my Log4jInitServlet:

String baseDir = getServletContext().getRealPath( "/" );
String logPath = config.getInitParameter(log4j-log-path);
logPath = baseDir + logPath;
File logPathDir = new File( logPath );
System.setProperty( "log.home", logPath );
PropertyConfigurator.configureAndWatch( confFile );

When I start my tomcat engine, I do not get any exceptions but my log
file does not get created? Am I missing something in my
log4j.properties file while specifying log4j.appender.A1.file ? or
something else? I do not get any exceptions in catalina.out.

I am trying to understand if this problem is due to my configuration of
Tomcat or the configuration of my logger?

Mufaddal Khumri