tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Glenn Barnard" <barnardgl...@hotmail.com>
Subject Problem with logging in Eclipse
Date Wed, 27 Oct 2004 15:11:10 GMT
Hi, I'm new to this list so if my question has been answered previously,
please give me a URL to look at---I have tried one without a hit.

I am trying to use Tomcat 5.5 in my Eclipse 3.0 development environment. I
have a Tomcat plugin which starts Tomcat from a simple icon. In following
the limited instructions I've been able to find for installing log4j for
Tomcat 5.5, I put commons-logging.jar and log4j.jar in the common/lib
directory. As soon as I do that, Tomcat fails during startup with the
following stack trace. The messages indicate that Catalog.class is not in
the jar files, but I've confirmed that it is in log4j.jar in the correct
package.

I have brought in the source code, and tried to step through it, but I'm not
getting anywhere with that. This AM I tried Tomcat 5.0 and got the same
problem. Am not seeing any problem starting Tomcat directly from a DOS
prompt.

If anyone can help me, I'd surely appreciate it! Let me know if you have any
questions about how I configure Tomcat, although I've tried server.xml
without editing it.

java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
	at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown
Source)
	at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.init(Bootstrap.java:208)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:402)
Caused by: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException:
org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: No suitable Log
constructor [Ljava.lang.Class;@958bb8 for
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger (Caused by
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/log4j/Category) (Caused by
org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: No suitable Log
constructor [Ljava.lang.Class;@958bb8 for
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger (Caused by
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/log4j/Category))
	at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.newInstance(LogFactoryImpl.java:543)
	at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getInstance(LogFactoryImpl.java:235)
	at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getInstance(LogFactoryImpl.java:209)
	at org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.getLog(LogFactory.java:351)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.<clinit>(StandardService.java:53)
	... 8 more
Caused by: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: No suitable
Log constructor [Ljava.lang.Class;@958bb8 for
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger (Caused by
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/log4j/Category)
	at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getLogConstructor(LogFactoryImpl.java:413)
	at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.newInstance(LogFactoryImpl.java:529)
	... 12 more
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/log4j/Category
	at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Class.getConstructor0(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Class.getConstructor(Unknown Source)
	at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getLogConstructor(LogFactoryImpl.java:410)
	... 13 more