tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: voting for 5.0.29? [Auf Viren geprüft]
Date Wed, 27 Oct 2004 15:23:27 GMT

Hi,

>5.0.29 beta never going stable?
>
>This is very disappointing news to me.

Sorry to disappoint you ;)  However, 5.0.30 is not far down the pipe, and hopefully it will
be declared as stable.

>5.0.29beta was the *first* Tomcat release, that did JAAS right.

Thanks for the vote of confidence ;)

>GenericPrincipal class. I need this badly.

Then go build your own custom Tomcat from CVS: it already has the JSP bug fix.  Or use 5.0.29.

>As I understood it 5.0.x was for JDK 1.4 and 5.5.x for JDK 1.5.

The above is incomplete and inaccurate.

>Why should 5.0.x be 'punished' for showing a bug under JDSK 1.5?

Because a basic feature (JSP compilation0 is broken out of the box under what is rapidly becoming
a common execution environment.  That's a fundamental obstacle to declaring it stable.

>And if the bug is fixed why not voting?

The bug is fixed in CVS, not in 5.0.29.  The fix will show up in 5.0.30.

>Please help me understand, yours sincerely

You might want to read up a little on open-source development practices.  The processes followed
by the ASF are fairly standard (in fact, some of them are standard because they've worked
so well here).  We give serious consideration to what we certify as stable, we release fairly
often (at least products I'm involved with do), and we make building your own version fairly
easy (considering the complexity of the product) for those who can't wait for our next official
release.

Yoav