tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Issue getting Context inside a servlet
Date Wed, 13 Oct 2004 13:43:27 GMT

Hi,
Why are you even going down this route?  Any solution you end up with
will be tied to Tomcat and not portable at all.  There's also no
guarantee we'll keep these internal APIs consistent or available to your
webapp in future Tomcat versions.

If you do want to keep going down this path, you probably need to mark
your context as privileged, like the manager webapp does (see its
context.xml file for an example).

The hack to get the DocBase getServletContext().getRealPath("/").  That
works for unpacked WARs but not packed WARs, where getRealPath(anything)
returns null.  If you need the "docBase" simply as a URL, you can always
do getServletContext().getResource("/") which will work in packed and
unpacked webapp deployments.

If you elaborate a bit on why you need the docbase, we might be able to
come up with better alternative approaches for you.

Don't make your solution container-specific unless you really have to.
Stick to the letter and the spirit of the Servlet Spec, and you'll end
up with a portable webapp.

Yoav Shapira http://www.yoavshapira.com

WAR