tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Andrew Miehs <>
Subject Re: Tomcat in a High Traffic Environment
Date Fri, 29 Oct 2004 15:45:15 GMT
Hi Yoav,

I have not read the Servlet Spec, so please pardon my ignorance.
(Definitely do not mean to offend). What I still haven't had clearly
answered is:

User A sends request (with keepalive) to tomcat. Tomcat assigns request
to thread (T1).
Tomcat sends result back. Is thread T1 now kept reserved for user A
until he/ or tomcat closes the keep-alive connection?

If this is the case, and I now have 1000 users, each with 2 connections
per user (ie: 2000 connections) do I need 2000 threads? What if the
requests each only take a very short amount of time? The server is
capable of answering a lot more requests than those from the 1000
users, but due to the number of connections and threads, I am limited
to the 1000 users per machine...

Or am I just missing something here...

I can understand the issue with the one thread one request in the Spec
- am just wondering if there isn't a better way, as I can not see how
this can possible scale in a high traffic environment -
or maybe I just don't understand... :-(