tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Bill Sweeney" <b...@Wellogic.com>
Subject RE: Performance issue
Date Thu, 07 Oct 2004 21:39:06 GMT
All the posts so far are right - you'll need to profile the app ;-)

A few "tuning" thoughts as you zero in on the app issues:

Check your logs.  Are you getting "connection refused" errors at peak when the pages take
so long to load?  Modify your connector in your server.xml.  You can up the maxProcessors="254"
before needing to grab the source.  If there is a need to up the wait queue you can up acceptCount="300".
 Also lessen the cycles for DNS lookups by enableLookups="false".

Are you starved for DB connections?  Add more in your [app_context].xml (20 is default I think)
       <parameter>
	   <name>maxActive</name>
	   <value>80</value>
	 </parameter>
	 <parameter>
	   <name>maxIdle</name>
	   <value>80</value>
	 </parameter>

Is the compiler and execution servlet in developer mode?  Is Tomcat looking for changes in
the JSPs at every access?  Look in web.xml and make

        <init-param>
            <param-name>development</param-name>
            <param-value>false</param-value>
        </init-param>
Up your checkinterval or set 'reloading' to false as well.

You said "I have 128M initial memory, and 2GB max memory for JVM."  In production consider
giving Tomcat all the memory at initial startup that you intend to give it at max.  We saw
evidence of memory fragmentation that was a performance hit in our testing.  But again, you
need to profile your app.  Are you swapping?

You said "we're using a wrapper to restart it after it crashes."  Are you precompiling the
app, or compiling the pages on access?  If not precompiling, you have beefy iron but enough
restarts and that is a lot of cycles at peak.

Good Luck -

Bill