tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Kumar, Sunitha" <sunit...@cisco.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat becoming almost completely non-responsive
Date Fri, 01 Oct 2004 23:29:11 GMT
Kaleb:
What command did you use to generate the thread dump?
Thanks,
-sunitha

-----Original Message-----
From: Kaleb Pederson [mailto:kpederson@mail.ewu.edu]
Sent: Friday, October 01, 2004 3:08 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Tomcat becoming almost completely non-responsive

Hello,

I have an interesting problem.  After a while, tomcat (5.0.27) becomes
almost
completely non-responsive.  If I telnet in to port 8009  (I'm using
apache
and mod_jk2), I get no response, at least not within the default
timeout.  If
a browse to a page, I will generally, after about 4-5 minutes, see a
page
returned.

To narrow down the slowness, I generated a full thread dump, and found
the
following information:

[ see attachment for more info]
Total threads: 180
executeQuery: 2 //  executing a db query
validateConnection: 0 // trying to validate their connection
validateObect: 48 // in
commons.dbcp.PoolableConnectionFactory.validateObject
socketAccept: 3 // accepting a socket
socketRead0: 10 // reading a socket
ReferenceQueue: 1
ThreadPool$MonitorRunnable: 2
borrowObject and Object.wait: 85 // trying to get an object from the
pool
Object.wait: 20 // threads just waiting around
Remaining:  9 // misc. threads

My database connection is setup so that I have 50 allowed connections,
which
matches my 48 in validateObject and 2 executing queries.  However, when
query the database status, I see 2 active threads and the rest are
'sleeping', just waiting around, as they would be if the connection pool

hadn't released them yet.

So, why would there be 48 connections that seemed locked and weren't
querying
the DB?  And then the other 85 that were seemingly waiting on the 45?
Any
ideas what might be going on?  The DB is ready?  I have log abandoned
turned
and an haven't seen a problem yet.  If the load drops sufficiently on
the
server, everything eventually returns back to normal, otherwise it takes
5-10
minutes to get a response from the server.

I have attached an abbreviated form of the thread dump which should
provide
all the critical information and can provide as much other information
as is
necessary.

Thanks for the help.  *All* suggestions welcome ;)

--Kaleb