tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Justin Ruthenbeck <just...@nextengine.com>
Subject [OT] Webapp upgrades and browser caching
Date Thu, 07 Oct 2004 17:45:51 GMT

I'm looking for some advice about how to handle the following situation.

(1) Apache 2.x in front of Tomcat 5.x
(2) Deploy new web application.  Bunch of servlets, bunch of jsps, bunch
of static content (mainly js, css).
(3) Many users use the application, during which time their browsers
cache lots of static content
(4) We do a major version upgrade of the webapp, including (almost) all
new static content, but URLs stay the same (to alleviate
bookmark-maintenance requirements).

The problem arises when the browsers continue to use their cached version
of the static content.  Now, the browsers eventually get updated, but
immediately after deployment there are huge numbers of graphical and
functional (js files) problems.  It seems like behavior in this area is
widely different amongst browsers and/or their settings.

I have only come up with the following option:

(1) Play with URLs.  New deployments can be deployed under
     a different url domain like:
         http://www.server.com/myapp/v1/main.css
         http://www.server.com/myapp/v2/main.css
     This would force browsers to get new content since the
     content appears as totally new content to the browser.

Aside from disabling static content caching, are there any other options
out there?

Much thanks for the help!
justin

Justin Ruthenbeck