tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Allen Holub <al...@holub.com>
Subject JNDI Resources in web.xml
Date Wed, 27 Oct 2004 23:10:07 GMT
Dear List,

During early development (Tomcat 5.0.28 under RedHat EL3),
I've found that META-INF/context.xml is
virtually unusable, primarily because it's so hard to deploy. By the
same token, putting the file in conf/Catalina/localhost/myApp.xml is
equally difficult because an ant-based redeploy overwrites it with a
default version. I'm loath to put stuff in server.xml, and in any
event, the only thing I'm doing with context.xml is defining
a JDNI resource for the database connection pool and a couple of
environment strings.

I understand from the documentation, that I can define these in
web.xml, and though I've gotten <env-entry> to work just fine (as
a replacement for the <Environment...> element in context.xml), I
can't find documentation for how to replace a
<Resource...> element in context.xml with an equivalent
<resource-ref> element in web.xml.

Is this possible or am I misguided? If it is possible, can anyone
point me at a description of how to do it that's more complete
than the one in the "GlobalNamingResources Component" section of the
"Server Configuration Reference?"

Also, the docs caution that I should respect element ordering in the
web.xml file, but they don't tell me what the ordering should be.
Where is this ordering documented?

Alternatively, I'm not adverse to replacing the bundled JNDI
implementation with a stand-alone JNDI server. If anyone's done that,
I'd appreciate any pointers you could give me about how to both
install and access a replacement JNDI implementation.

Thanks much.