tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Andrew Miehs <and...@2sheds.de>
Subject Re: Tomcat in a High Traffic Environment
Date Fri, 29 Oct 2004 17:24:07 GMT

On 29.10.2004, at 19:08, Peter Lin wrote:

> if you're looking for better client performance I would explore other
> areas first.
>
> 1. use gzip compression - this can reduce the html to 1/10th the size.
> your mileage will vary.

This is being looked at - loadbalancer vrs tomcat

> 2. caching results on the web-tier

Very dynamic content

> 3. putting the images on a dedicated image server

Already being done. 2x Servers running apache - which also have this
keep-alive problem. Running 1000 threads per server is NOT my idea of a
good time. I will be having a look at a couple of other alternatives to
apache over the next couple of weeks. Due to operating system/ kenerl
overheads
time for one request <> (time for 10 parallel requests)/10 <> (time for
1000 parallel requests)/1000

Squid is a good example of how you can server MANY connections without
starting thousands of threads.

> 4. distributing your servers across multiple ISP. many service
> providers don't tell you this, but often their pipe is saturated and
> can't really handle a large number of concurrent requests. if you host
> your own servers i would recommend getting more than 1 connection and
> use different providers

This is NOT a pipe saturation issue. The issue is definitely a tomcat/
number of connections issue.
I already have this problem in my local network with load tests.

> Most browsers today are Http1.1 compliant, which means they are
> limited to 2 connections to the same server. Normally the browser will
> use the same connection to get the html and the other resources like
> images and javascript.

This will only happen if keep-alives are enabled. If keep-alives are
disabled each GET will be a new connection. The F5 load balancers (4.5)
have a 'cool-feature?!' that 'forwards' the keep-alive connection
through to the backend server - With the 4.5 version of the software
they are doing packet mangling. This means that even though the cllient
only has 2 connections, the load balancer multiplies this connection to
EACH of the backend servers with which the client is communicating, ie:
static servers get 2 connections per client, statistic servers get 2
connections per client, tomcats get 2 connections per client..

Version 9 of the software has just come out, and it does proxying this
should hopefully help solve this problem - I am still in the process of
testing the new version.

Andrew