tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Allistair Crossley" <Allistair.Cross...@QAS.com>
Subject RE: ENCTYPE + SetCharacterEncodingFilter = no go joe for Tomcat 5.0.28
Date Tue, 26 Oct 2004 07:58:47 GMT
When a form has the ENCTYPE="multipart/form-data" specified, the data sent is not accessible
via the request.getParameter method. You should only really need the ENCTYPE when the form
is posting files.

This is nothing to do with Tomcat. You need to decode the data using something like Commons
FileUpload 1.0 or similar.

Cheers, Allistair.

> When using ENCTYPE="multipart/form-data" in a form on a jsp page, text
> sent ignores the SetCharacterEncodingFilter which is calling
> request.setCharacterEncoding("UTF-8");
>
> I thought about getting parameter values by using
>
> String field = request.getParameter("whatever");
>                 field=new String(field.getBytes
> ("UTF-8"));
>
> Does this seem a reasonable approach or is should the
> SetCharacterEncodingFilter *really* be setting the charEncoding?
>
> I don't want to be creating a new string for every parameter unless
> necessary.
>
> When ENCTYPE is not set, all works as expected.
>
> This problem is seen on Tomcat 5.0.28, but not 4.x versions.  I
> understand something changed around 5.0.27 for UTF-8 handeling but am
> not sure if that is realated.
>
> --
> Shawn <javajunkie@koyuru.com>

QAS Ltd.