tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Faisal Abdullah <apairu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Performance issue
Date Thu, 07 Oct 2004 03:40:50 GMT
The OS responds fine even when tomcat responses are slow.
The kernel is configured (max connections, file descriptors,
semaphores, shared memory, etc). Though i'm not sure whether the
tuning is optimal or not.

I think its probably its how the app manages connection, and probably GC?
DBCP and Cayote HTTP1/1 isn't configured by the way. Would these help?
If I configure DBCP, would it effect the code?

Sorry for the lame questions, I'm considerably new at this. And thanks
for all your fast responses.

Regards,
Faisal

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 14:52:13 +0200, Nitschke Michael <mnitschke@mbi.co.at> wrote:
> It could be that you catch a "maximum open handles" error.
> If you are using the standard linux distribution it is set to 1200
> connections.
> And if you have 500 users and every user opens an connection you are up
> to 1000 and the remaining 200 are very quickly used up.
> The result is that all java app's (tomcat, console, what ever) crashes
> instantly.
> But the other system tasks keep running.
> You should recompile the linux kernel with about 12,000 connection or
> more (max is 65000, we use this).
> You could also use the latest kernel which has no limit for connections.
>
> mfg
> Michael Nitschke

There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of
standing still.