tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tomcat in a High Traffic Environment
Date Fri, 29 Oct 2004 15:44:09 GMT
Peter Lin wrote:
> you don't need to use keepalive.  generally, in a load balanced setup,
> keepalive is disabled because the load balancer is already making sure
> the user goes to the same webserver for the life time of the session.
>
> keepalive is usually set in the HTTP header by the client, so I don't
> think you need to do anything to tomcat's config. someone correct me
> if I'm wrong. remy can provide a better description of what happens in
> the case a browser wants to use keep alive.

Yes, but the keepalive is used mainly for making the 'state' out of
'stateless' protocol, and it's main advantage is that you don't need
to acquire a new connection all the time. Take a look at RFC2068.
Even apache keeps the thread open on keepalive connections (Of course
you have a KeepAliveTimeout).

Without keepalive your cluster will perhaps work better in the lab,
but it will fail in the real-user scenario.

MT.