tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kevin Offet <kevinof...@kaligin.com>
Subject Re: Running Tomcat from jsvc
Date Tue, 26 Oct 2004 23:10:18 GMT
Hi,

to help cut through the apparent confusion, all you need to do is:

1) change ownership (recursively) of your tomcat install dir to ( if
your user account that will run tomcat is called for example "tomrunner"
) tomrunner.tomrunner.

2) change to that user and decompress and build jsvc (in the
${tomcat.installdir}/bin dir) according to the straightforward
instructions included.

3) change ownership of the resulting jsvc binary to root.root (root
initially runs jsvc which then changes the user to your tomrunner)

4) build yourself a decent startup/shutdown script appropriate to your
distro and your preferences.

Read The Fine Manual at
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/setup.html

for all that you'll need to know. jsvc -help will also spit out it's
allowed parameters that you can play with.

5) go have fun building web-apps. ;-)

Kevin