tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Watson <c.wat...@zen.co.uk>
Subject Re: tomcat 5.x windows installer
Date Mon, 04 Oct 2004 19:03:52 GMT
Shapira, Yoav wrote:

>Hi,
>

>>My reason for preferring the installer over the zip is that - when it
>>works - I can do a faily painless upgrade by uninstalling leaving the
>>webapps etc alone and reinstalling an upgrade version to the same
>>directory. This is not so easy using the zip distribution.
>>
>>Any help would be appreciated.
>>

>It's funny -- I prefer using the .zip versions because I think their
>upgrade process is much easier than the services'.

I'm coming round to you way of thinking, but then why is the .exe
included in the dist? What's its added value ?

> Simply install new
>zip to different $CATALINA_HOME directory, and copy over webapps.

If only ;) And the bits from conf - server.xml bits, tomcat-users, but
then they have a habit of getting scrunched by the .exe anyhow !

Then I use jk2 for ajp13 redirection from IIS [I have no editorial
control over choice of IIS :( ], so I'd have to fiddle with the
redirector registry entries and such like,

but actually, you've just given me an idea ...

But really, am I the only sad M$ person who has trouble with the
installer? As I said, it never used to be a problem around 5.0.19ish.
Any thoughts?

> This
>might have to do with me not trusting the Windows registry as much as I
>do the filesystem, though ;)

To be sure.