tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Frank W. Zammetti" <fzli...@omnytex.com>
Subject Re: Reducing network traffic for rollover images
Date Sat, 02 Oct 2004 17:47:56 GMT
Yep, turns out this is a known issue with IE.  I guess that's the reason
CSS-based mouseovers aren't used much more often.

You may want to take a different approach here... Consider doing what is
probably the more common approach, which is to have two versions of your
menu items, a normal state and a hover state version, and switch them
via Javascript (using the pre-loading I mentioned).

There does some to be some ways around the CSS problems though having to
do with layers on top of each other and hiding one or the other.  I
played for a few minutes to get such an approach to work and I got about
95% of the way there (still had a problem with the actual content being
placed properly over the background).

I'd personally just go with the first approach.  Like I said, I think
it's the more common approach, and even though the CSS approach might be
more appealing, the other way will probably be more cross-browser (if
you consider this constant loading of issues in IE, and in Opera and
some others from what I read, to be a cross-browser concern as I would).

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect