tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Robert Koberg <...@koberg.com>
Subject Re: Reducing network traffic for rollover images
Date Sat, 02 Oct 2004 17:40:36 GMT
Robert Hunt wrote:

> To clarify:
>
> Watching the Tomcat access log and using permutations of CSS and the
> FrankZ/jscript-caching-strategy to achieve the rollover effects, I've found
> that the background image is requested:
>
>                IExplore 6.0            Netscape 7.2
>               -----------------      --------------
> CSS        each mouseover       once per page(1)
>
> JS           once per page(2)      once per page(2)
>               each mouseover
>

> (1) upon first hover/mouseover
> (2) when the jscript executes

I have been hoping someone would offer some innovative solution, but
there really isn't one...

You have to perform some ugly hack. Check http://alistapart.com for some
solutions.

For example, you could provide the image with both (3?) states and
adjust the margin to show the correct state:

<a
   href="boo"
   class="hoverLink normal"
   onmouseover="this.className='hoverLink hover'"
   onmouseout="this.className='hoverLink normal'">boo</a>

With the image looking like:
-----------------
-----------------
|  hover state  | 30px in ht