tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Anthony E. Carlos" <anth...@digitalphenom.com>
Subject [Somewhat OT] Content vs. Programming
Date Fri, 22 Oct 2004 17:24:00 GMT
Hello, folks!

Based on my readings, it seems that most people running Tomcat on
dedicated boxes. Unfortunately, I'm in a shared environment running
multiple instances of Tomcat, one for each client. My problem is that
some clients like to update their own static content via ftp, while
letting me, the programmer, handle the more complex stuff.

What stinks is that if they ftp content to the server, then I've got to
merge their new and changed stuff into my development box because when
I deploy my war file (I'm developing in a separate environment), it
overwrites all of their stuff.

My content providers aren't technically savvy, so I can't expect them
to learn to use CVS. They're probably using some GUI program like
Dreamweaver to create their pages. Does anyone have a suggestion to
help streamline the battle of content providers versus programmers?

I've thought of having them upload to a alternate directory and then
running some ant script to copy new and changed files into the Tomcat
directories, but that still won't help with the merging process. To
make things even more complicated, and we're also using Tiles so my
content providers have to ask me to add entries into struts-config.xml
and tiles-defs.xml when they create a new page.

Is anyone else dealing with this kind of inefficiency, or do you all
work with just other programmers?

Thanks for your opinions,

-Anthony Carlos