tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Cees van de Griend <c...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Can Tomcat be configured to be an FTP Server?
Date Sun, 24 Oct 2004 11:19:23 GMT
On Sunday 24 October 2004 12:43, William Ferguson wrote:
> But can't you implement a Servlet to support any transfer protocol? Http is
> only one transfer mechanism.
> The javax.servlet.Servlet interface is not Http aware.
>
> As for the different port numbers, I thought these were actually configured
> in Tomcat.
>
> William

<cut/>

> > > Is it possible to configure Tomcat as an FTP Server?
> >
> > No.
> >
> > Tomcat is a HTTP server, not a FTP server: different port numbers,
> > different commands, different kind of application.

<cut/>

Yes, in theory you are right, but practical you have to write a
ServletContainer which is FTP aware; not a simple task as FTP is not a simple
protocol.

Take a look at a new Apache project: FtpServer at
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/ftpserver/.

What are you trying to do?

It is possible to use Tomcat for uploading/downloading of files. Maybe the
WebDAV protocol (on top of the HTTP protocol) is enough for your demands.

Why do you want to run the 2 servers in 1 JVM?

It makes more sense to separate the two services in different JVM's. Even if
you are able to create a FtpContainer, the implementation would run in a
different thread and more realisticly in a different JVM which is started by
the mail process. I expect there is little gain to combine the two services
in one JVM, not for resource usage.
It is only needed if you need the two services to interact directly with each
order and even then is is more easy to use a communication or messaging
protocol like JMS.

With kind regards,
Cees.