tomcat-users mailing list archives

From QM <qm...@brandxdev.net>
Subject Re: Apps to Instances Ratio
Date Fri, 22 Oct 2004 23:24:01 GMT
On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 04:53:47PM -0400, Kyle Adams wrote:
: In looking at Tomcat, one of the questions I've come across is: how
: many apps should run in a Tomcat instance?

That depends on your site, etc.  Follow basic guidelines for app
grouping, the same as it seems you're already doing.  (Quoth your last
message: "[support teams] can restart the server as needed without
having to coordinate with othe support teams or impact other running
applications.")

1/ load-test and profile apps to see who's a resource hog

2/ isolate apps/engines by their relationships, maintenance windows, etc

If you have the hardware, give each app its own container.  I've
witnessed and participated in efforts that tried #1 and #2 above, and
they were not enjoyable.

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net