tomcat-users mailing list archives

From sven morales <aka_ser...@yahoo.com>
Subject Embedded Tomcat + JMX
Date Fri, 22 Oct 2004 19:11:41 GMT
   I tried the Embedded class to work with Tomcat5
from the jakarta-tomcat-5.0.28-embed.tar.gz and am not
getting very far, ie not able to deploy even the
/manager webapp included in the webapps/.
   I also tried the JMX style using an xml file (not
exactly sure why is this better than starting with the
startup.sh from a full blown Tomcat5) and coming to a
slightly different difficulties.  I used the
minmgr.xml (attached file)from Wrox book Tomcat5 and
am not able to log in because it seems to use
JAASRealm even though I do not see it define under any
<mbean>. As matter of factly it is defined to use
MemmoryRealm.
1) So where does it gets this JAASRealm?
snippet error from running:

await:
      [jmx] Oct 22, 2004 11:49:26 AM
org.apache.catalina.realm.JAASRealm authenticate
      [jmx] SEVERE: Unexpected error
      [jmx] java.lang.SecurityException: Unable to
locate a login configuration

2) The tomcat-users.xml is slightly different from
what came with a regular Tomcat 5. Specifically using
"name" as oppose to "username".
the tomcat-users.xml that came with the tarball:

      1 <!--
      2   NOTE:  By default, no user is included in
the "manager" role         required
      3   to operate the "/manager" web application.
If you wish to u        se this app,
      4   you must define such a user - the username
and password are         arbitrary.
      5 -->
      6 <tomcat-users>
      7   <user name="tomcat" password="tomcat"
roles="tomcat" />
      8   <user name="role1"  password="tomcat"
roles="role1"  />
      9   <user name="both"   password="tomcat"
roles="tomcat,role1" /        >
     10 </tomcat-users>

Snippet of minmgr.xml specifically for the Realm:

<mbean name="${domain}:type=Engine"
 code="org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine"
              modeler="true">
 <attribute name="name"
value="Tomcat-Min-Standalone"/>
 <attribute name="baseDir" value="${tomcat.home}"/>
 <attribute name="defaultHost" value="localhost"/>
</mbean>
<mbean name="${domain}:type=Realm"
 code="org.apache.catalina.realm.MemoryRealm"
 modeler="true">
  <attribute name="pathname"
   value="${tomcat.home}/conf/tomcat-users.xml" />
</mbean>
<mbean name="${domain}:type=Connector,port=9080"
 code="org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteConnector"
           modeler="true">
 <attribute name="port" value="9080" />