tomcat-users mailing list archives

From tomcatnew...@jaoude.com
Subject Strange character behaiver with tomcat 5.0.28 on win & linux
Date Sun, 10 Oct 2004 18:38:45 GMT
Hello,

After I updated from tomcat 4.1.10 to tomcat 5.0.28 on Linux Redhat 8.0 the characters such
as , ,  will show as a questionmark in the word.

The strange part that the characters show correctly when using tomcat 5.0.28 on my windows
2000 and XP development machines.

I have went through adding the steps below as some help tips suggusted:

1. Set character enconding at the top of jsp pages
<%@ page contentType="text/html; charset=utf-8" %>

2. Set character encoding for db for eg.
jdbc:mysql://yourhost/db/?useUnicode=true&characterEncoding=UTF-8

3. Set up character encoding filter
 <!-- Example filter to set character encoding on each request -->
<filter>
 <filter-name>Set Character Encoding</filter-name>
 <filter-class>filters.SetCharacterEncodingFilter</filter-class>
 <init-param>
  <param-name>encoding</param-name>
  <param-value>UTF-8</param-value>
 </init-param>
</filter>

<!-- Define filter mappings for the defined filters -->
<filter-mapping>
 <filter-name>Set Character Encoding</filter-name>
 <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
</filter-mapping>

4. Added the parameter -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 to the catalina options.

But the characters still show as a ? when running tomcat on linux but shows correctly on windows
. So what am i doing wrong or missing on here?

One point worth mentioning that the Linux servers are standard English installation where
the windows machines are Dutch installation.

Tips or pointers to where i can find a solution is more than welcome.

Thanks in advance
Mark