tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Mark van Wyk" <m...@radbug.com>
Subject RE: Age Old Question of Wildcards
Date Thu, 07 Oct 2004 17:51:41 GMT
Hi Yoav,

Thanks for asking. I'm thinking something similar to what happens in the
Apache httpd.conf file... If I remember correctly, the Apache <ServerAlias/>
tag allows wildcards.

Basically, I'm assuming that no one will want to literally call their domain
*.mydomain.com and therefore, I'd like Tomcat to interpret the * as a
wildcard and point it to the relevant context.

I've basically managed to set up a wildcard subdomain DNS record and now I
want Tomcat to be able to deal with it too.

Example:

* I have a web site on a shared hosting platform
* I have the domain freehomepages.com
* I have a *.freehomepages.com DNS record pointing all requests to my server
* I setup Tomcat to <alias>*.freehomepages.net</alias> to point to the
freehomepages.com context
* The web app reads the domain, runs it through the database and displays
appropriate content for that database.

Thanks,

Mark