tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Randy Paries" <>
Subject Apache tuning question
Date Mon, 04 Oct 2004 13:38:10 GMT

I thought there was an apache mailing list, but the mailing list page points
to this one(as well as php and some others.)

So hopefully I will not get flamed for this question.

I have a rh9 box with apache 2 and tomcat 5

The apache server gets about  1.2M hits a day

on average i have about 110 httpd running when i do a ps -ef | grep httpd |
wc -l, but on Monday mornings my busiest I have around 225 httpd running

I am trying to determine what are the best setting for my prefork MPM

I am getting conflicting suggestions on MaxClients
on the RH pages it says::
"However, it is not recommended that the value for MaxClients exceeds 256
when using the prefork MPM. "
BUT on other pages is says that on busy sites i should have MaxClients  512
and ServerLimit set to 1024
Not sure if my server is considered busy. I am tending to think yes.

these are my current settings:
<IfModule prefork.c>
StartServers         5
MinSpareServers   5