tomcat-users mailing list archives

From QM <qm...@brandxdev.net>
Subject Re: newbie questions
Date Fri, 01 Oct 2004 22:05:06 GMT
On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 03:42:09PM -0600, Cameron Roe wrote:
: Ok so here goes. I want a have a version of the JavaDoc for the Java Servlet
: API on my local machine. I can then link in my IDE and get mouse-over
: javadoc for the Servlet API. Where do I get it?

java.sun.com, there should be a downloadable version.  It's buried in
the docs for J2EE; IIRC the servlet API isn't special enough to get its
own doc package. ;)

: Second question.

Please, one question per post.  That will make it easier for people to
respond to your question, and simplify archive searches.

: <install-dir>/webapps/ROOT then the url for the servlet would be default to
: http://xxx.xxx.xxx:8080/servlet/myservlet. This makes it easy to write
: simple servlets to try things out without having to modify the web.xml each
: time.

I _really_ wish authors wouldn't rely on the Invoker servlet (or its
equivalent in other containers).  It's commented out by default in
Tomcat 5 and, by the way, you'll want to get into the habit of creating
explicit servlet mappings in web.xml anyhow.  That's more portable, and
makes your URLs more resistant to unrelated changes.

: Finally for the stupid question of the day. I notice alot of information re:
: merging apache and tomcat. My question is why? I'm assuming the Apache is
: better at serving web pages that Tomcat but is that the only reason? It
: would seem that for a small website, just having Tomcat would be fine. Any
: thoughts?

Please search the archives for details.  Long story short: some people
prefer to serve static content with Apache, even though Tomcat does that
quite well.  Another reason to use a web server in front would be to
load-balance between several Tomcat machines on the backend.

This last one isn't really an Apache httpd/Tomcat question; it's
standard n-tier app architecture.  Several books and websites will give
you a much more detailed explanation that I will in a forum post...

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net
tech news -- http://www.RoarNetworX.com