tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Robert Bateman <bobbate...@sequoiallc.com>
Subject Re: reloading JSP files without reloading classes/beans
Date Wed, 13 Oct 2004 16:00:31 GMT
On Mon, 2004-10-11 at 18:27, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
> Bob,
>
>     You just answered my follow up to your previous email :)
>     Hmm, so I run a concurrent version of my production app(being
> careful not to impact the databases) either on a different instance of
> Tomcat or just a different context within the same instance of Tomcat.

Yes.  I use a tool called ANT to process, build and deploy my
applications via WAR files.  In my ANT build file, I have separate tasks
that deploy to production and test.  Because I am deploying using a WAR
file, each application has it's own configuration file (server.xml)
called context.xml.  In my case, I have two different configuration
files - each specifically tailored to the environment I will deploy
into.  All my ANT task does is copy the appropriate config during the
build.

> Then when I'm ready I package up the source code into a WAR(what tool do
> I use for that? - must do research), copy it into the production servers

You build the WAR file with a program called JAR.  WAR files are zip
files with different extensions (in fact, you can rename a WAR file to
.ZIP and open the file for inspection.)

As you build the WAR file, you want to compile any source modules that
need compiling and place them into WEB-INF/classes.  JAR files go into
WEB-INF/lib so that the WAR file is self contained.

> webapps directory(and hopefully have all the configuration set properly

If your version of Tomcat supports it, instead of copying into the
WEBAPPS folder, you can use the manager applets' UNDEPLOY/DEPLOY
capability.  This allows the server to take your WAR file and put it
into the appropriate place on the server.  Under TC 4.1 and newer, I've
been using a task in ANT that communicated with the manager applet for
me and does all of the un/deploying - quite spiffy.

> to auto-expand) and then what? If the WAR is automatically expanded do
> the new files take effect immediately

I'm not sure about TC version 3 (I use 4.1 and 5.0), but on my server,
the WAR file is placed into the appropriate place and put "live" as soon
as it's deployed.  I've found in my environment, that I have to be
careful not to deploy when there are active sessions because my
application doesn't handle the refresh gracefully.

> or do I need to restart tomcat still. Does the context in the server.xml
> need reloadable="true" set for a WAR file expansion to take effect
> immediately?

With WAR files, you don't touch server.xml any more.  All of your web
application specific configuration parameters are placed into
context.xml in a folder called META-INF within the WAR.  The server
parses this file to determine how to deploy your application, what
resources it needs, logging, etc.  Nicely self contained.

>     Thanks for the info..connected some dots for me.
>
>     New Question (While I've got ya :): Given that I can use a WAR file
> to "deploy," would you advise using Tomcat 5.x as my test server,
> creating a WAR and then deploying that to a production 3.3.1 server?

I gotta agree with QM on this one...  Test with the version that is in
production.

Is it possible for you folks to atleast migrate up to TC 4.1.xx in
production?  Your closer to current that way and migrating to 5.xx might
be easier once you feel comfortable with TC 5.

> This would kinda let me test using 5.x and still support a 3.3.1 box.
> The app is very self-contained, except for a load of jar's in the lib.
>
> Thanks for you time!!
>     JW

Bob