tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Rhino" <rhi...@sympatico.ca>
Subject Tomcat 4 and Tomcat 5 on same machine?
Date Sat, 02 Oct 2004 15:01:23 GMT

Can anyone tell me:
  1.. If it is possible to have an instance of Tomcat 4.1.x on the same Linux Mandrake server
as an instance of Tomcat 5.x?
  2.. How to set things up so that both instances run as services but are independent from
one another, i.e. each can be started/stopped separately from the other and potentially use
a different Java JDK.
A pointer to any documentation on this subject or to something in the mailing list archive
would be very useful if you could provide that.

I was going to try to search for this in the archive but couldn't think of a common term that
would appear in all such posts.

We want the Tomcat 5 instance to be our test environment. We will put our Tomcat 4 servlets
in Tomcat 5 and verify that they all still work; then we'll probably drop the Tomcat 4 instance,
unless we can think of a good reason to keep it around.

Rhino
---
rhino1 AT sympatico DOT ca
"There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that
there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there
are no obvious deficiencies." - C.A.R. Hoare