tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Andoni <andonil...@eurokom.ie>
Subject Upgrading for the sake of it?
Date Fri, 22 Oct 2004 10:49:03 GMT
Hello,

My questions here are fairly broad and open to opinion, I have not the
experience to be dealing with these scenarios though so if you could help me
it would be much appreciated. I do not mean to be inflammatory so if it is
please ignore.

Recently there was a post asking why people are still using Tomcat 4 instead
of upgrading to version 5. I have been using Tomcat 4.0.4/Apache 1.3.26 for
years and only recently upgraded Tomcat to 4.1.24. Now I am in a position I
have never had before. I have been given a Windows server to manage and free
reign over what to put onto it.

So is the best advice to go with what I know best (and can be sure my
websites run under) and install old versions. Or to go with the very latest
of everything. If so then is it a good idea to keep updating Tomcat and
Apache (httpd) or should I get one thing working and stick with what works?

The answer to a previous post of mine about Tomcat 4.1.31 told me that is
was a 'maintenance release', if this is the case then should all 4.1.x
administrators have updated to it?

Thanks,

Andoni.