tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Steve Kirk" <tomcat-u...@web-startup.co.uk>
Subject RE: versions 2.3 and 2.4 of web.xml
Date Mon, 11 Oct 2004 18:50:10 GMT
Yoav, I have recreated my example.  I deleted my installation and
reinstalled 5.0.27 from scratch (on win2k / JDK 1.4.2_05).

I then added a simple webapp called "test" by adding these three files under
the webapps folder:
test\index.jsp
test\prelude.jspf
test\WEB-INF\web.xml

The file contents are as follows (I know that the jsps contain incomplete
HTML but they suffice to keep the example simple).

--index.jsp--
==========================
==========================

--prelude.jspf--
==========================
==========================

--web.xml--
==========================
<!DOCTYPE web-app
<web-app>
	<jsp-config>
		<jsp-property-group>
			<url-pattern>*.jsp</url-pattern>
			<include-prelude>prelude.jspf</include-prelude>
		</jsp-property-group>
	</jsp-config>
</web-app>
==========================

Note that the web.xml above uses the 2.3 DTD.
I made no other changes to the standard installation.

I then started tomcat (I already have it installed as a service).  I then
accessed http://localhost:8080/test/ using IE6.  This displayed the file
index.jsp. The browser showed just the text "This is index.jsp".  In other
words, no text from prelude.jspf was included even though this is configured
in web.xml.  No errors were logged in any of the logfiles.

As a check, I then stopped tomcat and edited web.xml to give it the 2.4
headers, deleted all the files from the work directory, then restarted
tomcat and ctrl-F5'd IE to force-reload the page.  This time, the text from
prelude.jspf was included in index.jsp, and no errors were logged.

So, as far as I can tell, it seems that the <include-prelude> tag is being
silently ignored when placed in a 2.3 web.xml, but no errors are being
thrown.