tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Chuck Chopp <chuckch...@rtfmcsi.com>
Subject JSP won't compile
Date Wed, 01 Sep 2004 14:06:37 GMT
I've got a very simple webapp that I'm putting together and it only makes
use of the "html" tag library.  I have successfully deployed & executed this
webapp [based on Struts v1.1] to WinXP w/Tomcat v4.1.30 & JDK v1.4.2 and to
NetWare v6.5 w/Tomcat v4.1.28 & JDK v1.4.2.

When I deploy to an Alpha system running OpenVMS v7.3-1 w/the CSWS_JAVA v2.1
product [Tomcat v4.1.24 w/JDK v1.4.2] installed, I get the following error
in my browser when attempting to access the webapp:

HTTP Status 500 -

type Exception report

message

description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it
from fulfilling this request.

exception

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Exception forwarding for name login:
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(StandardContext.java)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java)
	at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.invoke(ErrorDispatcherValve.java)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java)
	at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java)
	at org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java)
	at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java)
	at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11Protocol.java)
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java)
	at
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

root cause

javax.servlet.ServletException: Exception forwarding for name login:
	at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.handlePageException(PageContextImpl.java)
	at org.apache.jsp.index_jsp._jspService(index_jsp.java)
	at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java)
[...]

I can see that JSP compilation complete for my welcome page as there is an
index_jsp.java and index_jsp.class file in the work area subfolder for my
webapp.  However, the login_jsp.java class appears not to be compiling into
login_jsp.class in the "WEB-INF/form" subfolder in that work area and this
matches up with the error I'm getting.

Is there any known deficiency in Tomcat v4.1.24 that was corrected in
v4.1.28 & newer?

How do I go about enabling logging that would allow me to see the actual
compiler error that occurs when this auto-generated java file is being compiled?

TIA,

Chuck
--
Chuck Chopp

ChuckChopp (at) rtfmcsi (dot) com http://www.rtfmcsi.com

RTFM Consulting Services Inc.     864 801 2795 voice & voicemail
103 Autumn Hill Road              864 801 2774 fax
Greer, SC  29651

Do not send me unsolicited commercial email.