tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Endre StĂžlsvik <En...@Stolsvik.com>
Subject RE: Why is Tomcat/Connector Installation So Incredibly Painful??
Date Tue, 07 Sep 2004 17:32:05 GMT
On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, Shapira, Yoav wrote:

| >  Even if it isn't for anything else, a transparent forwarding
| mechanism
| >between a "specific subset of the server's URL namespace" (quote from
| >ServletContext) of the server holding the listen call at port 80, and
| >Tomcat, will always be needed, I believe.
|
| Claiming that something will always be needed is beyond my clairvoyance
| abilities, but thankfully some people can apparently see the future ;)

My Crystal Ball tells me that there will be approx. 5000 more complaints
about mod_jk, and approx. 1000 replies from the developers stating "fix it
yourself and DON'T complain anymore!!".
  At that point, everybody have begun using ASP.NET instead, on Mono.

I believe that the reason for these problems lay in the nature of the
WebServer/Tomcat bridge: it's rather complex C code being hacked together
to run on a heap of different OSes and Webservers. One need insight in two
rahter different worlds to be able to code this stuff - and these
abilities are not very common, as is plainly obvious.
  I don't posess them - if I did, I think even I would have scratched that
extreme itch a long time ago!

Endre.