tomcat-users mailing list archives

From SSchattenb...@iht.com
Subject RE: shutdown problems tomcat 5.0.28
Date Tue, 21 Sep 2004 08:45:10 GMT

Thanks for the advice.  I have tried a number of new things with no
success.

1.  I removed the JNDI configuration file for my application.

2.  I verified that port 8005 is listed in the server.xml file.  I also did
"netstat -a | grep 8005" and verified that the port is open and listening
when tomcat is running.  And I can telnet to that port as localhost when
tomcat is running with no problems.

3.  I verified that I had all the required jar files as listed in the
release notes.

4.  The release notes mention changing the default stack size for Linux
users.  I did that, "ulimit -s 2048".

5.  The release notes also mention setting an environment variable called
LD_ASSUME_KERNEL.  I set that to the value suggested in the release notes:
2.2.5

After each change I would start and then stop tomcat and still tomcat
hangs, then reports exceptions in the catalina.out, before finally stopping
after about 5 minutes.

Sep 21, 2004 5:35:21 AM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol pause
INFO: Pausing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8080
Sep 21, 2004 5:38:30 AM org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteConnector pause
SEVERE: Protocol handler pause failed
java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out
      etc...

Has anyone else had a problem like this?

                      "Shapira, Yoav"

                      <Yoav.Shapira@mp         To:      "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>

                      i.com>                   cc:

                                               Subject: RE: shutdown problems tomcat 5.0.28

                      09/20/04 06:15

                      PM

                      Please respond

                      to "Tomcat Users

                      List"

Hi,
If you remove your separate JNDI configurations file, does the problem
go away?

Can you verify the shutdown socket (8005 by default) is open and
listening (use a program like netstat to do this)?

Have you tried setting the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL parameter that many Linux
users suggest on RedHat> (search the archives of this list for
LD_ASSUME_KERNEL) for details)

Yoav Shapira
Millennium Research Informatics

JNDI
>configurations are done in a separate context file that lives in
>$TOMCAT/conf//Catalina/localhost/.
>
>I have found some similar posts on the net but none seem to address my
>problem sufficiently.  Any advice on how to debug this would be
>appreciated.
>
>Here is the Catalina.out error:
>
>Sep 20, 2004 12:44:28 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol pause
>INFO: Pausing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8080
>Sep 20, 2004 12:47:37 PM org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteConnector
pause
>SEVERE: Protocol handler pause failed
>java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out
>        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
>        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:305)

printed, disclosed or used by anyone else.  If you are not the(an) intended
recipient, please immediately delete this e-mail from your computer system
and notify the sender.  Thank you.