tomcat-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Ben Bookey" <ben.boo...@gistec-online.de>
Subject RE: Real problem posting &Euro symbol from jsp page, using TC 5.0
Date Mon, 06 Sep 2004 14:24:02 GMT

Hi Allistair,

I am using win2k and your filter with it set to UTF-8 encoding. Indeed I
have not been able to set JVM [file.encoding = utf-8]in the catalina.bat yet
(my catalina.out doesnt look like your catlina.bat example
that you gave me before!). I am going to continue trying setting the
encoding because currently my > file.encoding = Cp1252, and I am thinking
this is the root of my problems.

But I have now discovered when I view the logfile where all my system.outs
goto(catalina.out) as iso-8859-15, I can view the €
symbol inside of the logfile . This is not visible when the editor is using
utf-8, which is what java will treat this text as.

In addition when I use the command request.getCharacterEncoding() i get a
null string.

Also I have come to the conclusion, that the oracle jdbc string doesnt
support passing of character encoding like with sqlserver.
I will let you know how I get on when I change the jvm file.encoding.

I am pulling my hair now !!

regards

Ben

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Allistair Crossley [mailto:Allistair.Crossley@QAS.com]
Gesendet: Montag, 6. September 2004 12:28
An: ben.bookey@gistec-online.de
Betreff: RE: Real problem posting &Euro symbol from jsp page, using TC
5.0


Hi Ben,

OK, here is my setup. Can you do the same for yours considering the various
layers I have drawn below. You did not mention in your post if you are using
the request filter servlet to ensure request encoding is set to utf-8.
Remember, Tomcat defaults to ISO-8859-1 for inbound requests. I am not sure
if it pays attention to the form accept encoding, so be sure to use the
filter. Someone else may have a better way or confirm whether form
accept-encoding works on forms. I suppose you could test this in your
Servlet by printing request.getCharacterEncoding(). This needs to be UTF-8
if all is well. Can you confirm this?

==========================================================
Windows 2000
----------------------------------------------------------
       | JVM [file.encoding = utf-8]
       ---------------------------------------------------
       | TOMCAT
----------------------------------------------------------
DB     | DB URL CHARSET | SERVLET | SERVLET FILTER | JSP
----------------------------------------------------------
Cp1252 | Cp1252         |    -    | set req. utf-8 | utf-8
==========================================================



> -----Original Message-----
> From: Ben Bookey [mailto:ben.bookey@gistec-online.de]
> Sent: 06 September 2004 11:19
> To: Tomcat User List
> Cc: Allistair Crossley; Nikola.Milutinovic@ev.co.yu
> Subject: Real problem posting &Euro symbol from jsp page, using TC 5.0
>
>
>
> Dear TC profis, (allistair and Nikola)
>
> I have had this problem for a week (aaahhh!), and would
> really appreciate
> ANY help or pointers to what I may be doing wrong.
>
> When I post a EUR value from a form from either Netscape 6.0 or
> IE 6.0, and do
> a system.out.println in my test
> servlet there is always something other than the Euro symbol
> arriving in my
> test servlet.  Most often is a ? which indicates the browser-client
> is posting using ISO8859-1
>
> Please take a look at the simple jsp pages below, which is
> using UTF-8. ( in
> another test I have also changed all the various
> encoding parameters to ISO8859-15, but there is still no Euro
> symbol on the
> server).!
>
> PLEASE......................................... WHAT AM I
> DOING WRONG ??
>
> :-(
>
> Ben
>
> '=============================================================
> ==============
> ======================================================
> <%@ page language="java"%>
> <%@ page contentType="text/html;charset=utf-8"%>
> <%@ page pageEncoding="utf-8"%>
> <html>
> <head>
>      <META NAME="GENERATOR" CONTENT="test page for encoding"
> http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html" charset='utf-8'>
>      <title>encoding data test.</title>
> </head>
>
> <body  bgcolor="#F3F3F3">
> <br><br><br>
> <%
> String reqURL =
> "/InGeoWebEntryTool/servlet/EncodingValidationServlet";
> String strEncodeTest="";
> %>
> <FORM action="<%=reqURL%>" ACCEPTCHARSET='utf-8' method="post">
>  <input  type="text" name="encodeTest"
> value="<%=strEncodeTest%>" size="98">
>  <input type="submit" value="update" style="WIDTH: 120px">
> </FORM>
> </body>
> </html>
>
> '=============================================================
> ==============
> ===================================================
> Here are some system properties from my server.
>
> file.encoding = Cp1252
> java.specification.version = 1.4
> catalina.home = D:\Program Files\NetBeans3.6\jakarta-tomcat-5.0.19
> java.version = 1.4.2
> sun.cpu.endian = little
> sun.io.unicode.encoding = UnicodeLittle
>
> '=============================================================
> ==============
> ===================================================
>
>


<FONT SIZE=1 FACE="VERDANA,ARIAL" COLOR=BLUE>
-------------------------------------------------------
QAS Ltd.
Developers of QuickAddress Software
<a href="http://www.qas.com">www.qas.com</a>
Registered in England: No 2582055
Registered in Australia: No 082 851 474
-------------------------------------------------------
</FONT>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org


Mime
View raw message