tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Sreejith" <sreej...@onmobile.com>
Subject RE: Server side redirect
Date Wed, 08 Sep 2004 11:28:14 GMT
Thanks for the reply Sjoerd..

I am trying to write a framework over Tomcat, which can be used to manage
the web apps.
The framework maintains certain access levels based on the request data
(from client). Following certains buisness rules, framework does forwarding
(server side, using req Despatcher) to the appropriate web apps. In certain
scenarios, it may be required to redirect to a third party (remotely hosted)
web application. Can you tellme, what is the best approach to implement this
with out using 3xx response codes?

Thanks
Sreejith

-----Original Message-----
From: Sjoerd van Leent [mailto:svanleent@wanadoo.nl]
Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2004 4:41 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Server side redirect

Sreejith wrote:

>Hi all,
>    It is possible to do a server side redirect to another Tomcat Server
>(any other web server)? I dont want to use status codes 3xx, as this
>involves the user agent in redirection.
>
>Sreejith

What you are asking is to locate a resource on another server. If you
want to do this you need to route the request to another server (setting
tomcat as a proxy). You are more or less making the server the
browser-client is talking to another client of a deeper server. More or
less like the following illustration:

    browser ------> tomcat ------> another tomcat

In most cases it would be more wise to setup another webserver (such as
apache) that routes your requests to different tomcat servers (using the
mod_jk extension or something like that), which looks more like the
following:

                                                ------> first tomcat
    browser ------> proxy (apache for instance) ------> second tomcat
                                                ------> third tomcat

May I ask what you are actually trying to do?

Regards,
Sjoerd