tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Frank Zammetti" <fzamm...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: A little offbeat question
Date Fri, 17 Sep 2004 04:23:30 GMT

>I wish they would clarify that, to, "Don't set CLASSPATH yourself. Let
>the applications or frameworks do that." I think that would be less
>confusing.

As I understand it, this simply means that if you are going to execute a
Java app, you should set the classpath right before executing the app (on
the command line really).  Likewise, when you compile, construct the
classpath on the command line of javac.  Or, when running Tomcat or
something like that, let it's startup scripts create the classpath.

At least in Windows, all those situations would result in a "local"
classpath, i.e., if you have three command prompt windows open, one to do
compiles, one to execute apps directly and one to run Tomcat in, all three
can basically set up their own classpath, completely independent of one
another.  I think this is what that statement is talking about.

Frank