tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Didier McGillis" <codesmo...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Why is Tomcat/Connector Installation So Incredibly Painful??
Date Tue, 07 Sep 2004 20:17:36 GMT
I must agree with QM the mod_jk while is made out to be a daunting task, if
you take some time and follow the myrid of tutorials/how-tos out there I
would venture to guess that you could do it quickly.  I have done it 4
times, Windose and Linux and once I had a problem, it was the second time I
did it, and I got a little ahead of myself and had to restart.  Do it will
clean everything and you should be fine.

>From: QM <qm300@brandxdev.net>
>To: Tomcat Users List <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
>Subject: Re: Why is Tomcat/Connector Installation So Incredibly Painful??
>Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 14:37:29 -0500
>
>On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 02:57:10PM -0400, Lon Palmer wrote:
>: It's obvious to me ( and probably to everyone else that uses
>: it ) that then entire process of installing mod_jk is broken.  It takes
>too
>: much fiddling and effort.
>
>I don't share that view.  I've setup mod_jk a few times, and it was very
>straightforward.  I followed the docs and ran with it.  JDBC/JNDI
>Resources (another problem that appears regularly) works for me without
>a hitch, too.  Maybe I'm just lucky. ;)
>

>As for the rest of your post: I'll spare you a debate and leave it at
>"whatever works for you, works for you." Some people have an easier time
>working with the open software than dealing with commercial products.
>At least have the choice.
>
>Having dealt with my fair share of both commercial and free software,
>the price tag and quality don't necessarily correlate.  I've used a few
>Very Cos$tly Products -- names withheld to protect the guilty ;) -- that
>required a lot of twiddling to get working, were very fragile once they
>did work, and "bug reports" were handled pretty much as the vendors felt
>like it.  It's easy to say, "you should have put pressure on them,
>you're a customer" but when a vendor's large enough and you're bound to
>their product, that doesn't fly.
>
>-QM
>
>--
>
>software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net
>tech news -- http://www.RoarNetworX.com

Take charge with a pop-up guard built on patented Microsoft® SmartScreen
Technology

first two months FREE*.