tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: JNDI binding a new resource
Date Fri, 01 Oct 2004 15:09:32 GMT
Hi,

There are numerous other open source JNDI projects with their own
InitialContextFactory implementations, it's just that most don't allow
what you're trying to do.  For example, OpenJMS, JBoss, several
components of the Enhydra server, and others.

BTW, don't use the System.setProperty approach.  Instead pass the
factory class name in the hashtable-version of the InitialContext
constructor.  That's much friendlier to other things running in the same
JVM.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium Research Informatics

-----Original Message-----
From: Derek Greer [mailto:dgreer@fedex.com]
Sent: Friday, October 01, 2004 12:06 PM
To: Tomcat Users List; Shapira, Yoav
Subject: Re: JNDI binding a new resource

So, is there not any other open source JNDI projects which have already
written an InitialContextFactory class I can use?  Ideally I would like
to just replace my:

System.setProperty(Context.INITIAL_CONTEXT_FACTORY,
            "org.apache.naming.java.javaURLContextFactory");

with

System.setProperty(Context.INITIAL_CONTEXT_FACTORY,
            "org.apache.commons.jdni..InitialContextFactory");

or some such thing.

Derek Greer

Shapira, Yoav wrote:

Hi,
You have a couple of options within Tomcat: use a custom JNDI resource
factory (this is covered in the JNDI how-to) which would allow you to
control JNDI resource creation and stuff, but only for that factory and
type, so it's limited.  Alternatively, extend and/or customize the
org.apache.naming classes that ship with Tomcat for your own needs.
That's not trivial.