tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Servlet mapping problem
Date Wed, 29 Sep 2004 14:09:25 GMT

Hi,
You can do forwards from a filter if you want, as well as sendRedirects.
It's a valid use for them.  Just be careful to only forward/redirect the
appropriate requests, e.g. if something is requesting a gif or HTML you
probably don't want to do anything, just pass it through.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium Research Informatics

<yoav.shapira@mpi.com>
>wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> >However, I am sure about the fact, that you cannot map a single url
>> such as
>> >"/".
>> >(Yes, you can define a mapping of "/", but that maps to EVERY
request,
>> NOT
>> >to the root url only.)
>>
>> No.  You're mistaking the default configuration for something that's
>> hard-coded.  Out of the box, "/" is mapped to Tomcat's
DefaultServlet,
>> which handles static content.  This is routine for other containers
as
>> well and is not a particular Tomcat trick.
>>
>> Per the servlet spec, / is the default mapping also, so anything
that's
>> not matched by other mappings will end up there.
>>
>> So, here's one way to change things:
>> - Explicitly map the things you want handled by Tomcat's
DefaultServlet
>> to it, e.g.

<servlet-name>DefaultServlet</servlet-name><url-pattern>*.html</url-patt
>> ern>.  Same for *.htm, *.gif, *.jpg, *.png, etc.
>> - Map any servlet of your choice to URL pattern /.
>> - Ensure that rest of your app has no unmapped pages, i.e. ones
that'll
>> propagate to /.
>>

>> Yoav

intended