tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat development rate.
Date Fri, 17 Sep 2004 12:13:46 GMT

Hi,

>Is there any particular incompatibility that concerns you? I have been
>using the same apps basically from an early version of 4 with no
changes
>required to upgrade other than small changes to web.xml etc to fall in
line
>with the newer servlet specs which tomcat has to follow and is not in
the
>Tomcat developers control.

I've been the same way, as a tomcat user.  The key is in designing and
implementing your app to the Servlet Specification, minimizing
dependence on container-specific behavior.

>If you are concerned then you don't need to upgrade, there are many
people
>on this list still running versions 3 or 4 of tomcat. In fact, unless
you
>are affected by bugs that are subsequently fixed or require the new
>features or more performance there isnt really a good arguement to
upgrade.

Well, I'd argue there are many good reasons to keep upgrading, but there
are already enough other threads on the mailing list with that argument
;)

Yoav