tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Shutdown process hanging when I load-on-startup
Date Thu, 16 Sep 2004 19:33:47 GMT

Hi,
Please keep the discussion on the list, not person.  It might benefit
others now in the future, from the archives.

>>From what I can tell, my servlet#destroy() method is being called,
>because I shut down the JMS connections and the ActiveMQ broker from
>there.
>
>I'm just running Tomcat through the startup/shutdown batch files
provided.

The most common cause for this is non-daemon threads started by you (or
one of the libraries you use) that aren't shutting down.  The JVM can't
shut those down for you, and the JVM process can't exit (so Tomcat can't
unbind the port) until those threads are eliminated.

To debug further, you should issue a SIGQUIT (or CTRL-BREAK on windows)
to the JVM process when Tomcat "hangs."  You will see what threads are
doing, and that should show you which ones are causing the hang.  If
you're having trouble interrupting the thread dump, post it here and
we'll try to help.

Yoav