tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat freezes up when a database resource is unavailable
Date Thu, 16 Sep 2004 12:51:15 GMT

Hi,

>We are having an issue with Tomcat 4.1.29 running under Fedora Core 2
>freezing up (completely unable to service any request) if a database
server
>that is being used by an application becomes unavailable (ie when a
server
>gets rebooted). We are using jdbc connection pools that are being
looked up
>via jndi.  Does anyone have any idea what might cause this or what we
might
>do to further diagnose the issue?

Wow, that sucks.

1st step -- add validation queries to your connection pool
configuration, if your pool supports them (most do).  That will help the
pool recover itself.
2nd step -- create a test environment where you can reproduce these
problems.
3rd step -- reproduce the issue while running Tomcat in the test
environment, and send a SIGQUIT (CTRL+BREAK on Windoze) to the JVM
process to see exactly what threads are hung and where.

That'll get you going in the right direction ;)

Yoav