tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Logfiles in TC4.1.30
Date Thu, 16 Sep 2004 12:48:20 GMT

Hi,

>Thanks.  But that would mean I can't use AccessLog either, right?
>Not exactly what I need.

No, that would not mean you can't use AccessLogValve (note the Valve in
the name, as opposed to Logger ;)), because it's not a Logger.  That's a
bit counter-intuitive, I know, but you can use the AccessLogValve if you
wish.

>> If you want to keep using the Tomcat Loggers, you can't control the
>> rollover behavior.
>
>Has this been fixed in TC5?

Yes and no.  Tomcat 5.0 does NOT offer more Logger options.  The Servlet
Spec doesn't require containers to offer fancy logging options,
thankfully, and we don't see a need to reinvent the wheel.  We encourage
apps to use a real logging toolkit like log4j or JDK logging instead of
ServletContext#log and System.out.

Tomcat 5.5 eliminates Loggers altogether.  We use commons-logging, so
you would plug in a logging toolkit like log4j and JDK 1.4 logging,
which you can configure however you want for rollovers and log file
naming.  So you can say Tomcat 5.5 fixes this.  But it's not ready for
production IMHO, so that doesn't fit your bill for now.

Yoav