tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <>
Subject RE: Tomact + jk2: won't shutdown
Date Thu, 09 Sep 2004 12:58:39 GMT

As you probably know, the shutdown command doesn't go through the
connectors normally -- it just makes a localhost connection to the
shutdown port (8005 by default).

The most common reason for failed shutdowns as you describe, i.e. Tomcat
closing but some threads (and therefore the JVM process) still alive, is
your app (or libraries used by your app) starting up non-daemon threads
and not shutting them down on exit.  The JVM cannot shut those down for
you, and it cannot exit.

Do a CTRL-BREAK (Windows) or send a SIGQUIT (Unix) to the JVM process to
see exactly what threads are active.  Figure out where in your code they
come from, and then modify you app so ensure these threads are stopped
on shutdown.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium Research Informatics

View raw message