tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Getting started questions about Jakarta
Date Wed, 29 Sep 2004 12:26:57 GMT

Hi,
Your analogy is interesting but warped.

Apache httpd is a web server not written in Java that's very mature,
stable, fast, configurable, and you will get very little contention if
you claim it's the best in the world at serving static content, CGI
scripts, PHP code, handling SSL transactions, and more.  But it does not
serve any Java content, such as Servlets, JSPs, EJBs, etc.

Apache Jakarta Tomcat is a Java servlet container.  It's written in Java
(so it'll run anywhere there's a JVM), and it can also serve static
content.  It can run CGI scripts, though not as efficiently as Apache
httpd, and it can handle PHP only in a very very limited fashion.
However, depending on your load and requirements, Tomcat by itself may
be sufficient for your application.

You can use Apache httpd and Apache Jakarta Tomcat together.

Apache by itself refers to the Apache Software Foundation, the
non-profit organization that sponsors and owns both the http and Tomcat
products (as well as many others).  Jakarta is an umbrella name for all
Java projects within Apache.  Sometimes when people say just "Apache"
they also refer to the httpd project described above, so newcomers to
this area may be confused by the name.

I hope this clears things up for you a bit.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium Research Informatics