tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <>
Subject RE: 505 Error in Tomcat 5.0
Date Mon, 20 Sep 2004 14:30:17 GMT

>I am using Tomcat 5.0 and Struts 1.1.  I also use a Filter that zips
>requests and responses.

First step: ditch your own filter and use one of the freely available,
well-tested ones.  Tomcat ships with one, in the servlet example webapp,
called CompressionFilter.  This way we eliminate the possibility of bugs
in your filter.

Alternatively, and even simpler: ditch the Filter altogether for
testing.  I imagine with a chat client the pages aren't that big
anyways, so the performance gained from compression is negligible.  You
can benchmark this if you want.

>gets 505 messages.

Are they really 505's, or more common 500's?  Do you have the
AccessLogValve enabled?  If not, enable it and see what it says when she
gets the errors.

If the user has the 'show friendly http error message' option enabled in
IE, ask her to disable this option.  This will aid in your debugging.

>What do you think?

Recreate the errors in a test environment if you can.  It sounds like
that won't be easy to do given the type of error.  If your app supports
different browsers, and the user is willing to try a different browser,
that's a good thing to test as well.

As an aside, please wait a bit longer before cross-posting to tomcat-dev
;)  Many of us tomcat-dev people like to take weekends off ;)

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message